Mary McKay, the outgoing President of the Board of the American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare (AASWSW), announced the results of the society’s recent elections, which selected Michael A. Lindsey as the new President of the Board and welcomed eight new AASWSW Fellows. Dr. Lindsey is Dean and Paulette Goddard Professor of Social Work at the Silver School of Social Work at New York University. Dr. McKay, Vice Provost of Interdisciplinary Initiatives at the Brown School at Washington University in St. Louis, will remain on the AASWSW Board for an additional year. The board will also welcome its newest member, Dr. Laura Abrams, Professor of Social Welfare and Department Chair at the Luskin School of Public Affairs at UCLA.
The new AASWSW Fellows are:
- María P. Aranda, Ph.D., Professor, Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, University of Southern California
- Llewellyn J. Cornelius, Ph.D., Donald L. Hollowell Distinguished Professor of Social Justice and Civil Rights Studies, School of Social Work, University of Georgia
- Daniel J. Flannery, Ph.D., Semi J. and Ruth W. Begun Professor, Jack, Joseph and Morton Mandel School of Applied Social Sciences, Case Western Reserve University
- Emily Putnam-Hornstein, Ph.D., John A. Tate Distinguished Professor for Children in Need, School of Social Work, The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Yuri Jang, Ph.D., USC Golden Age Association/Frances Wu Chair and Professor, Suzanne Dworak-Peck School of Social Work, University of Southern California
- Edward F. Lawlor, Ph.D., William E. Gordon Distinguished Professor and Dean Emeritus, George Warren Brown School of Social Work, Washington University
- Linda G. Mills, Ph.D., President and Lisa Ellen Goldberg Professor of Social Work, Public Policy, and Law, New York University
- Faye Mishna, Ph.D., Professor, Factor-Inwentash Faculty of Social Work, University of Toronto
Dr. Lindsey, Dr. Abrams and the latest cohort of Fellows will be officially installed at a ceremony during the Society for Social Work and Research (SSWR) Annual Conference scheduled for January 10-14, 2024, in Washington, DC. Check the AASWSW website for the date and details.
The American Academy of Social Work and Social Welfare is an honor society of scholars and practitioners in the field of social work and social welfare established in 2009 to create a community of scholars and practitioners recognized for outstanding research, scholarship, and practice in pursuit of a “sustainable, equitable, and just future.” The society’s mission is to provide a source of valuable information to inform Congress, government agencies, and non-government entities. Early inductees have largely come from academia; however, the AASWSW is committed to including more practitioners. I was inducted into the AASWSW in 2021 and serve on the board of directors.